Ever felt that the best support and advice comes from those who truly understand your journey and have similar life experience?
At My Life My Voice, we are firm believers that disabled individuals benefit most from connecting with peers who've walked a similar path. That's why we're excited to introduce our Free Peer Supporter Training program, the first step to becoming a beacon of support and empowerment in our community.
What you'll gain:
Deepen your understanding of Identity and Connection.
Enhance your Communication Skills.
Empower yourself with knowledge of Disability Rights in Aotearoa and more.
But it's not just about learning; it's about forming meaningful connections. Throughout the training, you'll have the chance to connect with like-minded individuals who share your experiences and passion for helping others.
Ready to make a difference in the lives of disabled individuals in our community? Join us on this empowering journey at My Life My Voice!
Who is the training for?
This training is for disabled people, tangata whaikaha Māori or people with an impairment who want to learn how to support other disabled people in the community. Unfortunately, at this stage, we are unable to offer this training to non-disabled people but, watch this space as we are hoping to do so in the future.
Where is the training?
The monthly Group Sessions will be held using Zoom. You will need a stable internet connection and a device that can turn on both the camera and microphone. A laptop, PC or tablet will give you the best experience. We are happy to answer questions or do a trial zoom session with you if you want to practice before the training starts.
E-Learn modules can be done where and when it suits you (links to the modules will be sent to you) during the modules you will be advised to book yourself into an online Zoom Session to discuss what you have learnt and give opportunities to practice your skills.
Upcoming Peer Supporter Training
We have two options - 5 Online Group Sessions or E-Learn Modules including some group activities.
The dates and times we are currently offering are:
ONLINE GROUP SESSIONS
- Monday 9th October 2023 (5.30pm till approximately 8pm)
- Tuesday 10th October 2023 (5.30pm till approximately 8pm)
- Thursday 12th October 2023 (5.30pm till approximately 8pm)
- Monday 16th October 2023 (5.30pm till approximately 8pm)
- Tuesday 17thOctober 2023 (5.30pm till approximately 8pm)
- Monday 13th November 2023 (10am till approximately 12.30pm)
- Wednesday 15th November 2023 (10am till approximately 12.30pm)
- Thursday 16th November 2023 (10am till approximately 12.30pm)
- Monday 20th November 2023 (10am till approximately 12.30pm)
- Wednesday 22nd November 2023 (10am till approximately 12.30pm)
** NEW** E-Learn Modules
Self-Paced Online E-Learning - A series of videos to watch alongside a resource book/Pukapuka and some online group sessions to be advised as and when needed.
If none of the above options work for you please register your interested in completing the training, and we will contact you with other options, dates and times that become available.
We will send an acknowledgement email from our firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your space. If you don't receive an acknowledgement email in your inbox the week before the training commences, please check your junk folder or email us with your details and we will make contact.
What support will be provided?
Please let us know about any learning supports and access requirements that you have, so that we can support you to get the best out of this training series. Meeting Assistants or NZSL interpreters can be provided if requested.
We are committed to meeting your access requirements to ensure your full inclusion and participation in this training.
What happens after the training?
At the end of all the training session, you will receive a certificate of participation. Once you have done all of the topics and if you are interested in how to become a Peer Supporter, we are happy to talk with you more about it.
We invite you to register your interest and start your journey with us . . . Now!
There are 4 ways to register. Please choose the option that works for you from the list below:
- Complete the online registration form on this page.
- Email us at email@example.com with your name and contact details. Tell us the best way to contact you, and we’ll get in touch.
- Phone us on 0800 896 004, and we can complete the registration form as we talk.
- Text us on 0800 896 004. Text us your name and tell us the best way to contact you, and we’ll get in touch.
After you send the registration form, please check your email (including your spam or junk mail), as we will send an acknowledgement email after registrations close.